Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Other G'Kiddies


Out in the boat again today where I think best. In a post yesterday it occurred to me that I made a big deal about my grandson coming this week-end and rightly so. However, Lizzie and I have been blessed with five other munchkins and I wanted to focus on them a bit. Unless you are a parent you may not understand the uniqueness of each child. If you truly love them you are able to recognize their strengths and weaknesses and love them for the way they are.
My daughter has two small ones, ages 3 and 1, a boy and girl. I've only seen Baby David once and he's the spittin' image of his dad with the same laid back personality. Daughter, Paige, is her mother, my daughter. Looks the same at that age, laughs the same, talks the same and has just the right amount of mischievousness to make you fall in love with her immediately. She loves to sing.
Oscar's sister, age three, was named after a lady my son knew while studying in France. Her name is Genevieve but is called Vieve, as in, Vee-vee. She's going to be an athlete. I can picture her in Barnum and Baily's as a trapeze artist or, possibly, the lady shot out of a cannon. I call her, 'No Fear Vieve'. She's fun to be around because when I'm with her I don't know what's going to happen next.
My oldest granddaughter is Eve. It's a good name for her. She'll be the first in everything. Evie is going to be six in November and beginning kindergarten. She is a voracious reader; probably at the fourth grade level. The kid has blond hair; unusual for the MJ Hawkeye clan.
Evie has a bro, Tommy. He'll be three in August. Tommy is a charmer. Such a cute little guy. He loves cars and trains and can entertain himself for hours, just like his Dad did. When he visited us in May I saw him hit a baseball off one of those ESPN tees. He has a big time swing and crushed the ball; just the way his Grandpa did but not at the age of two.
We're expecting additions to the family soon. Oscar and Vieve are going to welcome a brother around August. The selected name is Kingston Michael. I'm all for that. Coincidentally, that is the exact name I had picked out for his Dad thirty-four years ago but he didn't know it. My wife put the ixnay on it. With a name like King he's bound to be 'The Man' in school. I've know a couple of 'King's'. A guy named King Schott was a stud baseball player in Central Iowa years ago. Also, there have been tons of 'Kings' who were rulers of nations. You don't suppose.
Not to be outdone, Evie and Tommy will be welcoming a person's sex to be determined in December. Don't have a name but they select simplified ones. I'm guessing Mary or John. That's okay, though. What's in a name, anyway?
So, there you have it. What lucky parents we are--and grandparents, too.
As I said in the beginning you love them for their strengths but, as grandparents, you overlook the weaknesses. Besides, my grand kids don't have weaknesses. They are perfect!

No comments: