Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Big O Is A Comin'

I'm as giddy as a twelve year old girl getting ready for her thirteenth birthday party. My six year old grandson is coming to the lake with his dad, my son, on Saturday next. His name is Oscar and he is a nice, polite little boy. He has blond, curly locks and he's a joy to be around. Oscar laughs a lot. He called me on the phone two weeks ago. The conversation went this way: "Hi Grandpa, this is Oscar. I miss you" As God is my witness I thought I was going to cry. Every grandchild is unique to grandpa and grandma but the Big O is more so. His other Grandpa is a car buff and since he lives in the same town as Oscar he takes him with him to car dealers and shows. By the time O was three he could name every make and car he saw. Just to show him off I'll walk down a line of parked vehicles at the Columbus Zoo and have him name every car as we saunter by. Of course, I make sure there zoo goers are within listening distance. Just to show him off. You understand!
Oscar is the kind of kid who will start conversations with adults. He shakes their hand then starts in with something along these lines, "that's a great looking shirt you're wearing". It's like he's one of the small people from the Wizard of Oz.
I've been on a 'search and destroy' mission on the lake this week. I am bound and determined to find the perfect fishing hole so he can have some fishing fun. I bought him his first 'big kid' rod and reel. We've donated his Spider Man one to his cousin.
There's going to be a tradition begin on Saturday. I'll make it up like it's been going on for hundreds of years but it'll go like this: I'll have Oscar dip his hands in the lake. Then I'll sing some silly Indian chant and tell him from now on all the fishes and water of Ten Mile Lake along with the cabin belong to him, forever. It's not just Grandpa and Grandma's house anymore. It's his, too.
I love this Grandpa thing and you know why? Whatever Oscar wants Oscar gets because it's my job to spoil the heck out of him. And that's the way it's supposed to be.

No comments: