Friday, April 1, 2016

Isn't Life Wonderful

The Queen is taking care of our three grandchildren this week-end. Unfortunately, for me, I had to find a motel room due to the fact that there aren't enough beds in the home for me to crash.

I found a place in Mesa, twenty miles from my daughter's. It's not a big deal. I can drive thirty miles one way with the best of them.

I found a Travelodge Motel for $50 a night. I considered this a bargain----as long as there weren't snakes and rats in the room---and there weren't.

It can be ultra boring in a motel room. Trust me, I know. As an on the road salesman for twenty years I've seen them all. The only experience I didn't realize were unpaid hookers on my bed.

Anyway, there was a bar/restaurant next to the motel. I walked over for a brew, sauntered in the front door looking for a Shania look alike but, dammit, couldn't find one.

What I did see were two Octogenarian couples eating chicken tenders.

I'm a people person and when I go into these places I want conversation.

My only choice was a fella sitting in a wheelchair. "Hey", I said, "I don't like drinking by myself. Mind if I sit down"? This old-timer gave me the affirmative so I began to introduce myself.

It was at first a seemingly a disaster. He was in a wheelchair and I could not understand one word coming out of his mouth. But, I didn't give up and fairly soon his words made sense. He was widower, a resident of Saskatchewan who spent his winters in Mesa.

Now for the miracle story and it made such a huge impact on me.  Immediately my life changed and I could understand every word coming out of his mouth.

In 1985 he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease. He was given a death sentence of six months yet here he is in 2016 loving life. We promised each other we would get together

Such a miracle I witnessed today. Better yet, I made a life long friend.

No comments: