Saturday, April 23, 2016

Musings From Olathe Kansas

There is not, in my opinion, a better hotel chain than The Fairfield. Better yet, we booked a room in Olathe, Kansas for the paltry sum of $75.00 per night. That's akin to stealing without a threat of arrest.

Each evening, at the front desk is a container of the best chocolate chip cookies for the taking and it's endless. If you ask politely the desk manager will fetch a carton of milk.

Did you know Fairfield has continually won the award for the most safe and secure of all hotel chains? It's one of the great truisms.

This morning I slept in. The Queen and my eldest son are attending a Matthew Kelly. He's the most influential Catholic in the US on faith and family.

Last evening, in conversation, I was telling my son I'd gotten away from political blogging. He thought, for my mental health, for everyone's mental health it would be for the best. He detests Trump more than I and that takes some doing. To date I have met, know of or talked to only two individuals who are hardcore Trump people. But, then again, I don't hang out in steel mills, knuckle dragging union halls and sleazy bars.

Even so, on the way home from my grandson's karate class the radio was tuned to an info station. The moderator played speeches from the segregationist governor, George Wallace of Alabama in the 1968 election. You remember him from those tumultuous times, right? His most memorable exhortation was "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever".

Then, from our radio, came audio speeches from Trump that called for violence against 'losers' who were against him. There were stark comparisons. Except for the voices one would think these guys were one in the same. Who knows. Maybe they are.

Cincinnati and Kansas City have to be the kid sports capitals of the nation. Every time we come to these areas the motels are flooded with hundreds of youngsters wearing softball, baseball and soccer uniforms. The money these parents spend on weekly trips to far flung corners has to be enough to fund the national debt. Secretly, they just know their kid is going to be a national sports figure someday. And I'm going to defeat Jordan Speith in golf.

If you enjoy Major League Baseball you may have noticed the Chicago Cubs are kicking booty. Which goes to show they do have the best team money can buy.

No comments: