Sunday, June 12, 2016

It Must Be High School Graduation Time

I happened to be driving across Memorial Drive on my way home the other day. That's when I noticed a very large banner with a photo of a young woman named Bailey being prominently displayed for all to see. I didn't stop to read its entire wording but there was a congratulatory message for her making it through high school. In addition, and I don't know if it's an Ohio thing, but we were told where she was going to matriculate for the next four years.

In Bailey's case, 'Columbia here I come'. Parents do this all the time around this community. They'll tell us about how proud they are of their children who, beyond all odds, were able to graduate high school and then they'll announce the name of the school forcing them to go into debt for eight or more semesters.

One of our three high schools decided it would be unfair to have a Valedictorian so any child who had a 4.5 GPA received the honor. It's like receiving a participation trophy---if you know what I mean.

It would be fun to walk the halls of Dublin Coffman, Dublin Scioto or Dublin Jerome High Schools.
I suspect there isn't one kid who ever had a case of acne, a misshapen tooth or a strand of hair out of place. These are what I call Gucci kids.

Getting back to Bailey. Drive the streets of the city and you'll find a Morgan, Tiffany, Brooke; you get the picture. Boys have the moniker of Lance, Pace, Robert Maxwell III

Let's face it. Guys who are great looking and are going to make a lot of cash marry Miss America's and their children are products of fabulous genes. You'll never find a Dublin guy who hooked up with a clan member of the Hatfield's or McCoy's. This is the way God meant it to be.

This might explain why most all the kids in town are expected to do well, why there are no ugly children(parents would hide ugly kids in the basement). The average median household income in Dublin, Ohio is $114,381. This explains tons to me.

Where I grew up, Boone, Iowa, the average household income is 16% less than for other communities in the State of Iowa. In 2012 its average household income was 60 grand. If one takes away doctor salaries we're talking the poverty line.

The point of this blog is my generation all survived without having our pictures put on a corner poster. Besides, if my daughter looked like Bailey I'd be afraid of stalkers.

As for announcing their college of choice go ahead and brag. In the Sixties we didn't do such things. Who the heck wanted to tell the world they were going to attend Boone Junior College?

No comments: