Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Travel Bug Will Bite My Butt Again

Wowie! In the past three weeks this reporterer has spent numerous nights away from home aka Dublin, Ohio. I've had overnight stays in Burlington, Iowa, Desoto, Iowa, Ashland, Nebraska, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Hackensack, Minnesota, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Nekoosa, Wisconsin, and Larkin, Illinois. The last one was semi-scary. It's unnerving staying in communities where gas stations and motels have iron bars across the windows but when the eyelids fall below the Mendoza Line a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.

There's no place like home, Dorothy. But, after a few days, and I know this to be true, I'll grab onto the wander lust again. It's the way of men. It's why Davey Crockett left his wife to traverse west.

It's why the West was opened. Either that or these fellas couldn't stand the nagging from 'you know who'. Let me be specific. When I was out of Dodge for three weeks I absolutely, more than ever, missed Her Majesty. I missed her smile, her talent, her brain and intellect. My wife tops the world in the latter. But, more than anything, I missed her telling me what I was doing right and what I was doing incorrectly. As I stated earlier. It's why the West was settled in a matter of only twenty-five years. As an example, she'll ask me to take out the garbage. I'll do it but on my own time which might be either fifteen minutes or an hour later depending on my level of spousal irritation.

It's why Col. Crockett left his wife and family and rode off to the Alamo to meet his untimely death. He traversed west from Tennessee because 'it's there'. The travel bug had bitten his butt.

So, in three weeks, The Queen will head out to northern Minnesota. I'll hang out at the golf course in town then begin looking at a map of the US wondering, "where should I go and what should I do when I arrive".

Here's the thing about men. We fly by the seat of our pants without thinking about the consequences. Women have their lives planned out to a T.

I think it's the reason we screw up so often but it's a heck of a lot of fun doing it.

No comments: