Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Women: What The Heck Happened?

Unless you've been in a space station for the last week you heard about the foul mouthed Michelle Wolfe at the D.C. correspondents dinner. Every other word uttered from her lips was a gross obscenity--she liked it and was oblivious to criticism. The same for Kathy Griffin, Madonna, and all the rest of the groups touting pussy hats and let me keep my vagina.

When did this sort of talk become acceptable? When I was in high school I first dated a young girl named Dianne Tingwald. It was puppy love but I don't recall an obscenity coming from her vocal chords.

My first true love was Carol Mondt. We dated seriously between our frosh and junior years of college. One time and one time only Carol said, "godammit"!

In college after Carol, and this was the Sixties I dated girls like there was no tomorrow. In my opinion they were all fabulous. And, yet, their lips weren't foul. My senior year of college I hooked up with women who worked for Collins Radio in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They were what we called 'townies". They had their own apartments, made good money and were anywhere from two to ten years older than I. I'll be the first to admit me and my buddies, for the most part, dated them because the had free food and a place for us to hang out BUT their didn't utter the F and S word at every opportunity.

My wife is a saint. Seriously, Mother Theresa has nothing on her. She attended a Catholic girls high school in Des Moines, Iowa; St. Joseph's Academy. The BVM's ran the place. The girls wore uniforms. Every day the nuns made the girls get down on their knees to make certain their skirts touched the floor and my wife didn't mind.

In 1976 our two oldest children, ages five and four were carrying on about nothing, arguing about stupid things and my wife had had enough. She yelled, "Dammit, stop it" And they did. She had put the fear into them. That is the one and only time I've heard my wife come close to swearing. I'm embarrassed. I can't get out of bed and not say the F word in the first five minutes of the new day.

The big question is when did women become obscene and think it's cute? We've lost aspect of being June Cleaver and every other wife of the 50's along the way. Isn't it so very, very sad?

No comments: