Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Homelessness In Columbus Ohio

NBC4 Tv in Columbus ran a shock story about homelessness in the City. It's at an all-time high. My learned suspicion is it's this way in every major community.

As soon as the story began I wondered if the newscasters would provide reasons for this and they did.

Before you continue reading think if you can come up with the reasons----------------------------------------------------------------------------. I'd wager you came up with the answers.
(1) A lack of affordable housing and (2) jobs that don't pay enough. Well, duh!

I'm not a heartless soul. I don't pass out cash to the yokels holding homeless signs with scribbling written on cardboard. This is a scam. I saw a young guy yesterday, nice looking kid in his late 20's with a well trimmed beard. The ciggie he was holding turned me off, though.

I do donate money quite frequently. Every time I go to Krogers, which is around thirty times a day, I'll drop money in the Salvation Army kettle.

Maybe I'm over simplifying the homeless problem. The word that first comes to mind is choices. Did this person drop out of high school? If so, that was a choice. Did the woman allow herself to get pregnant out of wedlock? Another choice. Were they busted for selling drugs and it's still on their record or were they or are they sexual predators and can't get a job because of their record?

The Bible sort of screws up our minds. Am I my brother's keeper? Or, if I have two shirts I should give one to a person who doesn't. That's what John the Baptist told us in last Sunday's Gospel.

As far as I can surmise the homeless problem will only worsen. Maybe we can get some SJW's to take in some of these people into their homes. I'm not going to, though. I made good choices.

No comments: