Monday, December 31, 2018

New Years Eve: It's Never That Great

Today I am allowed to be as utterly negative as I desire. Oh, it's not because it's the end of 2018, The Year Of Hate, but due to the fact that (1) I'm fighting a four day sinus infection and (2) I did the normal and backed into a concrete pillar three days ago. Estimated damage was $1,500 and I thought the estimate was fare. Losing that kind of cash is akin to handing it out to a guy standing on a street corner holding a homeless sign. I remember the last time I had my auto re-done. I left the repair shop and yelled back to the owner,  I hope I never see you again. He laughed and said, "Fat chance of that".

I texted my buddy today, the one I spent New Years Eve with 49 years ago. For some reason we were in a downtown Waterloo, Iowa office building at 4 pm and dateless. Go figure. We got on an elevator alone with two other young ladies. My buddy dropped a line on them known by everyone. He said, "I got my first job on this elevator but got fired. I couldn't remember the route". They both laughed and I knew we had dates for the evening. Except, I don't recall anything else that occurred the rest of the night.

That's the way it's been for the succeeding 48 years. The night has been a dud. I can't recall attending a party. Nothing.

Do you recall the movie, When Harry Met Sally, with Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan? For Crystal New Years Eve changed his life. He realized Meg Ryan had to be his forever and he asked her to marry him. What? It was only a movie? Well, forget about it then.

There's an afternoon talk show in Columbus on 610 WTVN. The radio host brought up a topic yesterday, one in which I felt he was reaching for something, anything to make it through the day. Regardless, his point was this day Dec. 31 is meaningless. Finally, a guy called in who said he and his now wife were married on New Years Eve 38 years ago. The talk show host asked the fella what they did to celebrate. The answer  : "We do the same ever year. We'll drink tequila until one of passes out. And one of these years I'm going to win",  he said.

I'd bet the caller and his wife were native Kentuckians. 

No comments: