Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Not Gandhi, Too


Officials at California State University-Fresno are facing increasing pressure to remove a statue on campus depicting the late Indian freedom leader Mahatma Gandhi. “How will the historian teach and explain that Gandhi was uncharitable in his attitude towards the Black race and see that we are glorifying him by erecting a statue on our campus?” asks a Change.org petition, which is nearing 5,000 signatures. “Gandhi was deeply prejudiced against all minorities, from black Africans, Jews, to low-caste Hindus,” it states.

Who next, me? I've tried to lead a solid Catholic life; done all that was expected of me in modern society. But, there were those times when I was sort of a turd. In grade school I was really mean to Ann Seiler and Teddy Ann Vickery. I'd shy away when they walked down the aisles. I mean, I was afraid I'd get their cooties. 

Please don't take down my statues!

No comments: