Thursday, February 25, 2010

Iowa: The New California

It's becoming extremely difficult to comment favorably on the State of my birth. For my wife and I it's standard for us to talk about the good old days when Iowa was a state much the same way Mayberry was a town in North Carolina. It was a state where nothing controversial took place and we could laugh and snicker at the goings on in say, California, as the "weirdo freaky" state. Today, in 2010, the place is turning into a midway side show.
Let me provide a brief overview of some recent legal happenings. Last year the State of Iowa legalized same sex marriage. Holy Toledo! This is Iowa were talking about. Even the State of New York and Massachusetts only recognize the idea of having partners.
The courts have now ruled that one cannot smoke in any facility other than one's home. I can remember the time when a guy walking into a drugstore had to whisper for a pack of condoms. That scenario is now reversed and it's the ciggies that are the villain.
In a recent poll, 66% of citizens of the Hawkeye State say that the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes should be allowed. Now, if the ganja is used to ease pain that's okay by me but you and I both know it'll be easily distributed to all regardless of age and disability or lack thereof.
Finally, last week the State Court of Appeals ruled that exotic dancers. aka strippers, will be allowed to do their thing even though they may be under the age of 18. The reason being, according to the Courts, is dancing of this type is considered an art form. Taking this a step further your daughter, my granddaughter, would be allowed to spin her tassels at age 12 and there would be no legal way to stop it.
This is all a very embarrassing thing for "normal' type folks like me. And it is sort of tough being a Hawkeye in times like these.
I had a friend tell me in jest that Iowa is considering a new slogan on signs as drivers enter the state: "Iowa-where it's illegal to smoke a fag but it's okay to marry one". That about says it all.

No comments: