Sunday, February 21, 2010

It's A Biblical Thing

There have been quite a few people asking me about my thoughts on Tiger Woods. If I added them all up I'd say around thirty, maybe more. My wife asked me about his press conference and what I thought. I didn't give her an answer because, truthfully, I didn't think anything about it. I do know this. Ever since the whole sordid 'affair' was revealed last Thanksgiving I've neglected to watch anything that is "Tiger". When the Golf Channel replays a Masters Tournament showing him I flip channels. TMZ TV has seen it's ratings skyrocket to the point that John Edward's is a minor player. Edwards story has all the earmarks of someone who should be in jail. The allegations are that he is a wife beater. Being an adulterer and fathering a child out of wedlock with another woman are accepted as fact. My appetite for his transgressions aren't that great. When he comes on a channel it gets changed.
I have been giving serious thought, not only about Woods and Edwards, but also myself. I've heard the biblical saying, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone", thousands of times. This may be the first time I've taken it to heart. I'm very disappointed in Mr. Woods. I've always been disgusted by Edwards because I've considered him a perpetual, self-serving phony. For good reason, in my mind, political leaders need to be of higher character than do sports people. If this wasn't the case the NBA would've been banned years ago. These two fellas, though, have caused me to take personal stock. If you're Catholic you'll understand what I'm about to write. If not, you'll recognize it anyway. There is something as Catholics we prepare for before we hit the confessional. It's called an examination of conscience. I think we're supposed to feel worse than we already do. It usually has this impact on me. We are required to dredge up our sins against God's laws. We also need to reflect on sins against our fellow man and promise to never commit them again. After I receive my priests blessing I do feel better, though. That's the way Jesus instructed the Apostles. Remember? "Whose sins you shall forgive they are forgiven and whose sins you shall retain, etc."
Tiger has his problems. John Edwards has them, too. You may not believe this but MJHawkeye has committed his fair share of naughty naughties. Folks, I have more than enough trouble taking care of myself. Therefore, I want to have no opinion about Woods or Edwards or anyone else unless it's a postive one. What if we all, seriously and continuously, kept the promise: 'I have nothing negative to say on the subject' ? It's going to be difficult to accomplish but if attempted, everyday life as we know it, might be a whole lot better. I think it's worth the effort. Does "if you can't say anything good about someone don't say anything at all" ring a bell?

No comments: