Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Iowa Shuffle

Since you've already read today's post headlines if you're from Iowa, Minnesota or Siberia it's a given you're aware of the subject matter.
In Dublin, Ohio last night's temps were in the teens. It's been this way for five days. Yowie! I'm used to playing golf up to Christmas in this area. Not this year. I looked out at the fish pond behind our condo upon awakening this morning. There's ice on it.
Lucky for me I know the 'Iowa Shuffle'.
It's a hoot watching Ohioans in this weather trying to walk on ice. They can't do it because they've had no practice. Falling down, for them, is the same as eating breakfast. It happens every day. For us Iowans traversing icy sidewalks and driveways is like riding a bike. Once you learn you never forget.

The procedure: Walk out the front door, see ice, put feet tight together, shuffle forward, never backward or sideways, six inches at a time; no more no less. It takes longer to get where you're going but I haven't fallen on my can since I was ten. While running on a sidewalk I slipped and cracked the back of my head. It was my parent's fault. They never taught me the 'Shuffle' so I had to learn it the hard way. We Iowans are tough nuts.

No comments: