Sunday, January 23, 2011

Florida Diary, Day 3

Talk about a boring ho-hum drive down to Florida-----except for the following. It must have been a year ago when I wrote; stupidity and carelessness fuel our economy. I am the king of carelessness. Most humans enjoy feeling clean and refreshed when beginning a journey. That involves a morning shower and that's exactly what I did. As I pulled the towel into the shower I reminded myself to watch out for my glasses that fell to the floor. If we had been playing a game of Clue it would have been MJ did it the bathroom with the towel. Sixty seconds after the commission of the crime I stepped out onto the bathroom floor and heard the 'crunch' sound under my foot. It wouldn't have been quite so upsetting if these were glasses were purchased from Ben Franklin but they were only two days old. Is it a case of the cup being half full or half empty? I only destroyed one lens. You decide.

People in Tennessee do wear shoes. What they don't do is fix the potholes on I-75 through the entire state. My Mazda played dodge 'em for 178 miles. At the very least we left the snow of Ohio and Kentucky in the rear view mirror.

Lizzie and I did have one minor problem. We stopped at a Florida tourist center in Georgia at mile marker two. I only went in since I had to use the latrine but they didn't have one. Across the alley was a combo Dairy Queen and TA gas station. Lizzie came along, too. It's always necessary to buy the obligatory coffee after using the men's room. That sounds sort of silly, doesn't it; buy coffee after one gets rid of coffee. Why not purchase a salt lick instead? Regardless, in the car we jumped and away we went into Florida. About an hour later, Lizzie said, "I think I left my purse in the ladies room at the gas station". She did. Back we went and with the help of the Georgia State Police, the county sheriff's department and a kindly lady at the service station Lizzie retrieved her purse, credit cards and $400 in cash. We were happy as was the nice young girl who received a big time reward.
Guys! Think quick on this one. What would you have said to your spouse? Well, if you have my track record for the last forty-one years you say, "Honey, it could happen to anyone". Then you block it from your memory forever. If Lizzie kept a daily diary, 365 days for forty-one years there would be foul ups so huge God couldn't make it right. Heck! I sacrificed my glasses with a foot stomp only twenty-four hours earlier. I know of what I speak.

Today is Sunday, January 23rd. Today is the day my one and only daughter turns forty.

But, and you know I love Sunday church stories and today's is a dandy.
A women, bleached blond, fiftyish, sat next to me. Have you ever seen those steel thermal coffee cups with a sip hole at the top? This gal brought one to Mass and drank her coffee during the service. Her husband/boyfriend had his arm around her nearly the entire hour rubbing up and down her arm. Do you know what I wanted to say? "Get a room"! But I didn't.
I need to focus more on the Mass than what's going on around me. Blinders could be the perfect solution.

So, that's my mini-diary for the last three days. Nothing great but a couple of tidbits worth mentioning. I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

No comments: