Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Livin' The Dream

An important lesson learned as a career salesman was, always be positive. If your wife left you, the dog died, debts were piling to the sky, you always remained positive.

Now and then, especially in the throes of winter it's danged hard to be 'chipper'.
Walk into the bank and you'll be met by some toothy chick: "Hello! And how are you today"? Depending on your degree on depression the answer may range from an "OK" to "Fine". Not to cheery, huh? January can have that impact.

My six year old grandson taught me a huge, huge lesson. It was first noticed at the end of his 4th year. He has a habit of saying two very wonderful words when adults ask how he's doing. With tremendous enthusiasm he'll answer: "I'm GREAT"! You have to wonder where he picked that up. His mom and dad are very positive and conscientious. That might be it.

Regardless, it's an excellent way to be; answering with positive responses, especially on those days when the sun comes up at 8 am, goes down at 5 and the windchill is -50. This applies to Iowans and Minnesotans, especially.

There's a man living in San Antonio who is a radio talk show host. His stage name is Joe Pags. Sometimes, he subs for Glenn Beck. His, "how ya' doin" comeback is, "Livin' the dream". I like that. Primarily, because I am doing just that---living the dream. It fits. There is no one more fortunate the I.

Therefore, as of this morning, January 12, 2011 I am officially adopting, "Livin' the Dream" as my comeback response to "How are you". It's going to be stitched on the left breast of golf shirts, on the back of my jacket. Some guys have, '#1 Grandpa' on their t-shirts. Not me. It's 'livin' the dream'. Gotta be careful, though. It wouldn't be smart to have a stencil of two bikini clad babes on a t-shirt, arms around a cartoon looking me, with the words, 'livin' the dream' underneath. Maybe I could stencil 'livin' the dream' on my car. How about this one: a few years back the Christian men's group, Promise Keepers, came out with a line of clothing with PK emblazoned on their attire. Let's take this to the next level: 'LtD' on shirts, pants, shoes, jackets. Get it? People, If DKNY can get away with it so can we. The idea will catch like wildfire and we will REALLY be 'livin the dream'.

How about a 'Livin' The Dream' club that would replace Facebook. Register and tell the world how you're 'livin' the dream'. Wow! This is so good!

Good habits(or bad ones)take twenty-eight days to fit into your lifestyle or so I've been told. The way I figure: In twenty-eight days I'll be walking the beaches of dreary, boring, overly sunny, Florida still working on my habit. If I begin today there'll be three more weeks after the 28 days to make it work. I can handle it and you know why, don't ya'?------Cuz I'm livin the dream.

No comments: