Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Going South


Unless something spectacular happens between today and Friday this might be my last post for a few days. We're driving to Ft. Myers, Florida for nine days then shoot up to Destin in the panhandle for a month. I have no doubt that there's excitement awaiting MJ. A walk on the beach waters may lead to an encounter with a Portuguese Man 'O War. "Ouch" for me ahead of time.
Ft. Myers is fun except for one thing; driving. It's population is composed of more elderly than the rest of the 49 states combined. A few years ago I was standing on a street corner on Hwy 41, The Tamiani Trail when a policeman approached. I posed a question to him, "Sir, I noticed in Collier County last year 249 people were killed in car accidents. Why is that". "Elderly drivers", he said. This I understand.
Sixteen years ago my 88 year old father-in-law was visiting us in Davenport, Iowa. He was at a busy intersection making a left turn. Oldsters get into more accidents that the US population combined when attempting this maneuver. My Dad-in-law was a serious collision but survived. From that time forward, until he passed away at age 95, he planned his driving itinerary. If he had to go six blocks to the grocery store he never made a left turn; always made a right one. The trip took a lot longer but it was, indeed, much safer.

Lizzie and I would love to stay in southern Florida for the winter but--it's--too--expensive! A condo will run 4K for a month. Since I'm a cheapskate we've found Destin to be more to our liking; nice condo on the beach, golf course 100 yards from our place for $1,300 per month. In Destin one always takes a chance on the weather but I can handle the 60 degree average temperature for February.

After our sojourn I will be heading out to the old homestead of Boone, Iowa. Readers may know a little about it from my writing but to get a better handle why not google the community. There's a lot to do there, if you've been in a gulag your entire life.

Have a wonderful winter, Y'all. Check in daily if you will. I'll be taking notes. We will be driving through Tennessee on our way down. That's always interesting. People tell me they are now wearing shoes.

No comments: