Thursday, August 18, 2011

Boredom: How Can It Be?

It's true. MJ is not a woodsy, lakey, relaxy(is that a word?) person. I'm ready to go back to Ohio and I've three more weeks to survive in the wilderness.What Iwouldn't give for a Chick Filet.
I left the cabin yesterday at 4 PM and told Lizzie if I wasn't back in an hour to keep the skillet hot cuz there'll beboay load fish to put in it. Three hours later I returned with an empty net. One of the things I like to do is take a rubber frog and drag it over the lily pads in search of the elusive lunker bass. I caught two smaller ones on worms in only two hours. A miracle! Then I headed to the pads. The first thing I did was cast my 'never fail' surface locust'. It's my favorite lure---ever. Anyway, I caught a dock. Yes, it's true. I snagged some guys dock. After twenty minutes of maneuvering the boat I finally secured Mr. Locust from underneath the dock footings. This reminded me of other things I've lost fishing. A few years ago while at Swanson's Bait Shop I saw a $20 pair of long nosed hook removers I just had to have. It was sort of silly buying them since the only fish to catch on this lake are sun fish and I can remove those hooks with a fingernail clipper. As soon as I got home I jumped in the boat and powered my way to a weed bed. For some reason I opened the live well(it was virgin) but failed to notice my new long neck pliers on it's top.I opened the lid and Plop! In the lake they went. I've lost rods and reels in a lake, numerous lures. I've lost boat anchors. Once, my son and I were fishing and actually had a fish basket full. This was twenty years ago and on Ten Mile Lake. I caught a fish, threw it in the basket and dropped it in the lake. Too bad for me and the frying pan I forgot to tie the basket to the boat. Every time I pass that spot on the lake where the basket dropped to the bottom I say a small fish prayer.
Fifteen years ago my good buddy, Craig, decided he'd come to the lake to catch some walleye. At the time and maybe it's that way today, Craig had as much fish knowledge as I have the ability to create DNA in a tube. In anticipation of the event Craig visited a fish store and left with all kinds of apparel: clothes, lures, rods and reels. There's nothing like practice and not wanting to appear ignorant my pal went to a local fishing hole to practice his casting skills. He put his line on what the salesman called a "walleye cheater". The description of it went like this: five different colors of plastic three inches long with small, spiral springs sticking up a quarter of an inch from its body. At the end were things that were supposed to look like fish eyes. Think of a small slinky and you've got it. On his first cast my buddy let his finger off the fish bale and threw his arm backward getting ready to release the killer lure. The problem was he casted backward and-------------caught a Greyhound bus as it was motoring on a highway directly behind him. Craig not only lost his "walleye cheater" but all of his fish line. Of course, we laughed; always have, always will.
I'm not the only one who does silly things. One of these times when I'm really bored I'll tell you how I fell in the lake. Hilarious!

No comments: