Monday, August 15, 2011

Dress Code For Teachers? What Next, A Firing Squad


I'm going to go out on a limb in this post and suggest not many under the age of forty read this column so I won't have to worry about them saying, "he's out of it. It caught my attention because I taught in the Quad-Cities, Iowa for thirteen years. Granted, those years were in the parochial, not public high schools so that makes a difference.
I looked at these three 'professional' teachers and saw the smiling young man so proud of himself------with his shirt untucked. Excuse? Teachers make so few dollars he couldn't afford a belt and didn't want to embarrass himself in front of his students.
What made me laugh was the District crackdown on the past teacher dress code: No more t-shirts and flip-flops, among other things. You've got to be kidding me.
And we wonder why there is not respect in our schools for traditions and professionalism. I know, I know. Some of you will consider me an old fuddy-duddy for my views. But, I'm still proud of the fact that I wore a coat and tie every day to class in my twenty year career except a handful.
To this very day Lizzie will frequently comment on how how professional I looked as I took off for work.
The times they are always a changin'

No comments: