Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It Was God's Will

I think the phrase, "eating a crap sandwich", was named for me. Yesterday I made the trip from the cabin to Minneapolis International, nearly four hours in length, to pick up number two son and his family and take them back to the lake.
I left home at 7:30 am. Surely that would give me the time to meet them for their 2:30 pm arrival. It was raining when I left Ten Mile Lake. An hour and a half later as I drove through St. Cloud the monsoons began. Animals were lined up on the roadside two by two hitch hiking. It stayed this way until I hit The Cities when it magically stopped. "Well, thank the Lord", I said to no one in particular. "Somebody up there likes me". I had lunch with an old friend then headed out for the second world's worst airport after O'Hare but only by the length of a short neck hair. Immediately upon getting on the I-494 Freeway St. Cloud's gully washer descended on Minneapolis. Lightening bolts crashed, rains came and I was generally afraid and PO'd. Luckily, it was a twenty minute shot to the airport. Okay, here's a question for you. If you saw a sign reading 'general parking' would you follow that sign? Don't get your shorts in a bind but I'm going to make you wait awhile for the answer. Now, I have to blame myself for this next blunder. I wrote down my son's flight number and arrival times. I knew they departed either Dayton, Columbus or Cincinnati-----I thought. Danged if I hadn't thrown those particulars somewhere just not in the right place; my pocket. After forty minutes I used my detective skills and saw that it was 2:15. Aha! I made it with plenty of time to spare. Then I noticed the airline arrival info. Why did they have the word 'diverted' next to my son's flight? Since I had never seen the word diverted before I went to the info booth. "I've never seen the word 'diverted' before but it has to be bad", I said. Easy answer on her part. "Yes"!
Long story short was the storm, lack of fuel and a broken part forced the flying cigar known as Mesabi Air(Delta) to use the Duluth airport. It'd be two hours before they arrived so I decided to hang out in some parking lot to save money on my general parking. In Minneapolis, general parking means long term parking which means more money. So, my hour and a half stay cost me $15. "What a rip-off", I told the ticket lady. "Thank you sir but you should have gone to short term parking". I later found out short term was labeled in microscopic letters a block further on.
Did I mention it was still Noah's Ark rain after all this time. I left and returned(short term this time) and waited another hour and a half. Most you know I like to(female) people watch in airports. Minneapolis is slightly different than Miami or Phoenix in this regard. I think there was an AARP convention for people who eat every meal at Golden Corral taking place. I saw a kid go through the arrival gate wearing a t-shirt that read Barack Obama Elementary School-St. Paul, Mn. I walked up to him and slapped him. I didn't really but I did want to do it to his Ma.
Finally, the kids arrived and it was only another hour and a half before their luggage, all one stinking piece of it, came shooting down the baggage ramp. Here's the irritating thing about Delta. If you are one ounce over the weight limit on baggage you get nailed an extra $25. If you are inconvenienced in any way, say my kids having to sit on an airport runway for over an hour with no air conditioning or offer of a drink, then "it's too bad and we appreciate your patience".
Is it me? Does this dead man's hand happen to other people? Am I truly a 'crap sandwich'? This second go 'round with parking only totaled $10. I was steaming at the thought of $25 for parking. I mean, where was I, New York City?
The kids were safe and we arrived at the cabin around 11 pm. One bright note. If you ever drive west on I-94, exit 178 in Minnesota, you HAVE to stop at the Clearwater Bakery. It is the worlds best; red velvet donuts with cream cheese on top and berry fritters: to die for!
Tomorrow, a new day and no airport trips. Praise the saints and pass the fritters.

No comments: