Tuesday, December 10, 2013

He's All Boy

There are nine grandchildren in my life; four boys and five girls. They range in age from nine to two. Each of them in their own special way is unique. All grandparents talk that way about their own kid-kids, don't they? My four grandsons are also special. We're presently in San Antonio and I was having a conversation with my daughter about one of my son's nine year old boys. "Being with him", I said, "is like being with a Franciscan monk. He's that reverent, holy and kind, just like his dad was at the same age. Don't think he's a sissy boy because he isn't. Unlike many humans he's been gifted with kindness genes. My five year old grandson in Olathe, Kansas is exactly the way his dad was at that age; legos and art work is his life. His dad is now a big time graphic designer so from this offspring that's what we can expect. I'll take that.
My four year and three month old grandson in San Antonio is different from the others. He's Mr.Mischievous with a most infectious laugh. He played T-ball this past Fall. He won an award for being the fastest player. He won another trophy for having the best laugh. Is that great or what?
Luckily, for all of us, his parents are not politically correct. My grandson plays with swords. He has a scabbard around his waist and we have duels with each other. He even shouts out, "On guard"! He also knows what nunchucks are and how to use them. I love it. Yesterday, I took him out to a place called Inflatable World. It's kind of like Chucke Cheese's without the screaming brats. He scrambled up the stairs of inflatable monsters and slid down on his bottom a couple of times, giggling and screaming hilariously all the way down. Then we played games. I had three pockets full of quarters and kept pumping them in the slots so he could take home a worthless piece of junk. As it was he ended up with some Spiderman dog tags with a real value of about 1 cent. Ol' Grandpa spent $15.00 to put a smile on his face and it was worth it. His favorite games were those involving guns: guns on space ships, guns that were used to bring down bears and rabbits, guns that when fired elicit an explosion on the screen. He laughed and hollered and yelled, "Gotcha" when he brought down an alien invader. Later, I asked my daughter if there was a suspension policy if, when he starts kindergarten, he makes a gun shape out of his hand. She didn't think so but they'd cross that bridge when they come to it. I like her attitude.
Having a grandson who has a wild streak makes my heart pound with joy. He's the kind of kid a 'never been married with children teacher' would want to destroy with Ritalin. Fat chance of that unless she wants Grandpa Hawkeye raising all kinds of hell. One more thing about my grandson from San Antonio; he's all boy and I love it.

No comments: