Sunday, December 29, 2013

David Versus Goliath

If you follow this site long enough you know I'm a huge supporter of the Iowa Hawkeye football team; always have been, always will be. This love affair began in 1952 so why should I stop now. I'll supply you with one frightening example of how nutso I get when I watch my favorite team and this occurred last November while watching Iowa take on the Univ. of Michigan. I have a habit of always carrying around a small Swiss Army knife and a fingernail clipper connected by a small chain. I think it's some kind of phobia but who cares. It's the same as my six year old granddaughter clinging to her favorite blanket she calls Smooth Bear. Anyway, I was at my son's house on this football Saturday and with two minutes left in the game Iowa was clinging to a 3 point lead but Michigan was driving down the field. Their quarterback made a run to the left side of the field but an Iowa linebacker dislodged the football near the Michigan sideline and Iowa recovered assuring a victory. So, here I am, nearly sixty-eight years old, screaming and waving my arms like a man gone wild. Except, the blade on my knife was open and I stabbed myself in the temple. Blood was gushing and squirting and running down my cheek but I didn't care. The Hawks were going to run out the clock and win the game and all would be perfect in this imperfect the world. Well, the Hawks have earned the right to play in the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day against the Louisiana State Bengal Tigers. I thought I'd do some research on their opponent and came across a picture of this goliath. Take a long hard look at the guy. Concentrate on that part of his body above his shoulders for a moment before your eyes wander down to his mammoth torso. Is it possible this is a photoshop to scare the beejeesus out of the Hawks? Think back to when you were youthful? Did you look like this? This is the kind of guy I want with me if I was in a bar, drunk and hit on some guy's wife. His name is Anthony Johnson. He's 6'3" tall and weighs 294 lbs. He's 21 years old. Yes, this guy, no wait, this man is only 240 months out of his mother's womb and he looks like the worlds most dangerous killing machine.
. He could have gone to war for the U.S. against Germany in 1941 and won it by himself. What do they feed this guy? Answer: Anything he wants.
I want to write, "Go Hawks" but I should write "Don't Go-you might get killed".

No comments: