Saturday, December 7, 2013

Why Mandela

Flags have been lowered at half mast around our nation following the death of Nelson Mandela. Why? Have we lowered our flags for other foreign leaders? Yes, we have. Winston Churchill was honored with the lowering of the flag after his death. He was a believer in the democratic process and the capitalistic economy. He also rallied the world against the onslaught of the Nazi's. In addition, Churchill's mother was American born. The only other world leader to be honored with a half staff was Pope John Paul II. Before someone calls the organization for the separation of church and state on this one understand that John Paul, along with Margaret Thatcher and Pres. Reagan, brought down the fall of the Iron Curtain in Europe. Mrs. Thatcher wasn't deemed the honor of a half staff flag by Obama but we all understand why. The President hates everything British. Apparently, Mr. Obama feels Nelson Mandela left an indelible mark of international statesmanship on the United States. One can only imagine if the flags of the US would have flown at half mast had George Washington died during this present administration. I shudder to think about it.
The purpose of lowering the flag is to honor an individual who has given service to our country. The flag was lowered for Sen. Arlen Specter from Pennsylvania. The only service I can think of was that he left the Republican Party and joined the Communist one.
States can also call for the lowering of the flag. Call me overly critical but I do not think the half mast flag should apply to Elvis, Michael Jackson(unless it was the flag of a pedophile nation) and Whitney Houston; drug addled all.
Please don't put the onus on me for being a racist against Mandela because I've questioned the flag dropping for him. I know he spent years in prison for his anti-apartheid views. Twenty-seven years is a long time in anyone's book. But I think it's important that we understand he hasn't been beatified except by the likes of the Leftist writer, Jonathan Alter. On MSNBC he called for the release of all prisoners in US prisons who are serving life sentences regardless of their crime. This action would be a good way to honor Mandela, he said. Good Lord, Lefties make them so easy to detest. The Leftists will the ones pushing to have Mandela's statue in every schoolyard around the world. Personally, I don't get it. Here's a guy, Mandela, who was an avowed communist. I first heard about commies when I was in the first grade at Sacred Heart school in Boone, Iowa. Commies were bad people but the Korean Conflict was taking place so we all needed the propaganda. Sixty years later I still detest communists. It's the American way or it's supposed to be that way. That's what my grandfather always told me and my grandfather knew everything.
I've snagged a few quotes uttered by Mr. Mandela that explains his political philosophy. If you don't know then you should. For those who believe in democracy and capitalism it isn't pretty.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/7-nelson-mandela-quotes-you-probably-wont-see-in-the-us-medi

No comments: