Thursday, January 25, 2018

At The Supermarket

Kroger is my favorite supermarket and they've made tremendous improvements in the last few years. Number 1 on my list is their friendliness. A memo must have come down from their headquarters in Cincinnati but whatever it was it worked. They've added international foods to their list of items.

In Ohio we have one other major food store, Giant Eagle. They make 16" pizzas which are delectable. As with Kroger they offer the mandatory gas perks when oene spends X number of dollars a month on groceries.

Golly, it must have been five years ago when I wrote about super markets, the price of foods and the Dollar Store. In the first place, why would anyone spend more than a dollar on a birthday card? Does Giant Eagle think people actually look at the back of the card upon receipt and say, "Oh, they must think the world of me. It's from Hallmark"? Last February I sent each of my ten grandchildren for Valentine's Day a card with three dollars enclosed. I got word back from my son that his kids tore open the envelope, grabbed the money and didn't bother to read what I wrote. Won't they be surprised when the will is read.

I'm going to segue into today's Kroger experience. My good buddy, Buff, can verify what I'm about to write. I like Ketchup(Catsup) more than any food product. I'd drink a bottle of Ketchup before eating a bag of M&M's. My buddy, Buff, bought me a shirt from his trip to Banff Manitoba reading, 'I put ketchup on my ketchup'. I have to fess up. There is only item I eliminate from this delicacy and that's a medium rare New York strip. I'm not completely bonkers.

Her Majesty has been reminding me for three day my catsup supply was nearly gone. There was enough in the bottle when, in a pinch, I could drop in an ounce or two of water and survive.

But today the dispenser was empty. I jumped in the car and went right to the ketchup aisle and there it was, a Kroger brand 64 oz. container of liquid gold for the grand price of $2.59. Right next to it was a bottle of Heinz, 64 oz. for $8.49. Considering the only difference between the two is the label did I really have a choice?

Besides, traitor John Kerry's wife owns the company so why should I put money in his pocket so he can afford to go wind surfing?

No comments: