Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Birthdays Are Times For Reflection

My baby girl has a birthday today. I've always said men should have a daughter first. They help diminish our egos and place them in the bottom drawer where they belong. My daughter was born in Storm Lake, Iowa on a blustery, snowy afternoon. It's possible I've relayed this story before so bear with me. There were two of us in the waiting room. The other guy was quite a bit older than me. At the time I was one score and three; a mere child. This was going to be his ninth child. I was rooting he'd have a son. It didn't work out that way.  He gave a sigh and then said, "Oh well" lifted his frame off the couch and sauntered off to see his new dumpling.

I had to wait another half hour to welcome my cherub into this world. One of the Candy Stripe nurses was a student of mine from Storm Lake St. Mary's, Pat Domayer. I could tell she was excited and nervous for me as she entered the room. "You have a little girl", she said. I don't know my response but I'm sure it wasn't "Ah crap"!

Personally, I don't recall much of the rest of the day except while waiting to see my wife I watched a Purdue-Michigan basketball game on television.

There isn't much to this recollection. Maybe I should have kept a diary. All I know is at 47 years she's developed into a wonderful wife and mother. She is now a stay at home but she had heck of a career as a teacher and saleswoman.

It's not fair. Seems like only yesterday I was a new daddy.

No comments: