Monday, January 26, 2009

Birthday Boy

Today, I am recognizing that I am one year older. I've never been big on birthdays; blowing horns, and having balloons with tons of confetti. I don't go in for big celebrations. Besides, I didn't have a whole lot to do with the process except that I got so big in my original dwelling I was forced to find a new home on planet earth.
I used to check and see what other famous people were born on my day. (except me). Turns out, in this regard, it's fairly boring. Paul Newman and I shared but he's gone. Angela Davis from California. She's a sixties revolutionary communist. That leaves me and Ellen DeGeneres.
Recognizing that I'm 63 allows me to make some observations that might give younger people pause. I have exchanged birthday cards, a dollar bill inserted, with my two best friends since 1954. One of these guys once said if he hated me he'd still feel obligated to send me a card. We've known each other that long. I've let my buddy, Craig, in on this gig. We became friends in 1965. In addition, he was best man in my wedding so I allowed him the thrill of being a part of the original triumvirate.
My dad and I almost shared the same birthday except I came into the world 15 minutes after the bewitching hour of midnight. My dad never forgave the doctor.
I liked birthdays up until my twenty-ninth. I don't know why but that one really bummed me out. My fortieth birthday saw me at a high school basketball game. What else was new? That was my life. The fortieth wasn't an earth shattering event for me; thought it would be. Maybe it's because I still acted like an eighteen year old.
The very best birthday and the very best decade was that of my 50's. It's too bad one doesn't realize how good it is til' it's over. Here is why I loved the fifties: our kids were on their own and had good jobs. Until you've been there you have no idea about what a relief this is for mom and dad. The fifties gave Elizabeth and me more money and more time to travel. Besides, I hadn't cultivated those nagging aches and pains, yet. I could still go jogging without a grimace on my face.
This is what's going to happen today. My wife will make what she thinks is my favorite meal. It really doesn't matter what she comes up with. She's a great cook so I'll enjoy it all. Afterwards, I'll open my cards; Dick and Steve from 1954 come first. It's difficult to break a long standing tradition. I normally receive eight or ten cards; my mom always sends one. She still sends the schlepy ones. You know, "what a wonderful son" kind. One sister remembers but the other doesn't. It doesn't bother me. She's still a good person.
I do a lot of reflection now. Gratitude has been a good thing for me. Gratitude should be a part of everyone's daily routine. I have loving wife, three wonderful children with five beautiful grandchildren. Those are the birthday gifts that keep on giving. I am, indeed, a lucky man.

No comments: