Thursday, January 29, 2009

Southern Baptists

Elizabeth and I have developed a new friendship. The husband's name is Jim. His wife is Debbie. Jim and I watch sports together. He's a fanatic about sports of all kinds but he's very big into Ohio State. I could care less about the Buckeyes but it's fun watching with him. I love how his blood pressure rises when a game gets close. Plus, he talks to the TV more than I. Jim is also a Southern Baptist. I've only know one other couple who are Baptists and they originally came from Missouri. They are great people, just like our new friends. I'm like others lacking in knowledge. I stereotype. I used to think 'Baptist' then I'd ask myself: "When did they start wearing shoes"? I've always admired Southern Baptists. I think they're more committed to their faith than Catholics. They actually, and this is difficult to believe, practice what they preach. They say they are against abortion and, hold onto your shorts, vote this way. Egad!
Here's another thing about them. They read the Bible and they do it frequently. My friend takes his Bible to work with him. Now you know; he isn't a public school teacher. I think there's a joke somewhere about Catholics not reading the Bible; we only use it for a coffee table decoration. I've been married for thirty-nine years. The priest who married us gave us a Bible as a wedding gift. Other than trying to figure out the end of the world by looking at the Book of Revelations I don't think it's been cracked.
Yesterday, I asked Jim what a typical service was like. "Oh, said he, we sing for a half hour, listen to our preacher for forty-five minutes, then we're done". Bummer! If our priest talked that long I'd self-induce a heart attack.
The point of this entire essay is, even at my age, I'm still learning to appreciate what others have in their hearts and I'm getting to meet neat, new people every day.

No comments: