Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy Birthday Anyone?


Because it's January I begin thinking of birthdays. Growing up and celebrating a birthday in my house wasn't a special thing. I cannot recall having a party with kids in attendance. When I was six there was an announcement on the local radio station about my birthday and a song was dedicated to me. The title was something about, "Snips and snails and puppy dog tails". I was embarrassed by it. I don't know why except we had to have my dog's tail cut off when he was a pup. The stump looked like a cocktail weiner. Maybe that was it.
Since my dad was born the day before me we celebrated together. Grandma Dickerson made an angel food cake and I'd get a card with a five spot enclosed from mom and dad. Beginning around 1956 birthday's were celebrated with my two best friends, Steve and Dick. We lived within two blocks of each other and "our" party consisted of lunch then giving a card to the 'birthday boy' with a dollar inserted. Consider the numerous life situations that have occurred since our first party; college, marriage, children, relocating to different cities in the US, moving to foreign countries, changing jobs but never losing track of each other. Try naming a scenario that would stop the tradition but the recognition of our birthdays continues to happen. In a few weeks I will receive in the mail two cards; one from Steve and one from Dick. Inside there will be a dollar bill. We've done this for fifty-four years. Traditions are tough things to break. As Steve once told me, "I could never hate you. I've known you too long."
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of birthdays but I am a sucker for sending out cards. Including fourteen family members I send out thirty-four cards total each year. There's just something very nice about being recognized on "your" day. I used to tell people on their birthday, "you're one in a million" but neglecting to tell them there are seven billion people in the world. Do the math and it could be ego deflating.
If you have a birthday coming up don't let me know. The cost of cards and stamps are eating into my social security.
I've just had a nagging thought and it has been confirmed. My brain has fewer folds than a year ago. Memory, however slight it is, told me I might have written a post one year ago on this same topic. It has been confirmed. I'm ready for the home.

No comments: