Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Michael Buble'


Wishing doesn't make it so. I have had a longing for quite some time to be able to play a musical instrument. The problem is, I don't know which one to try. It'd have to be one that doesn't require a lot of talent and brain power. I suppose I'd have to understand different notes. There's a song about do-re- mi. I could memorize that easily.
A couple of my friends are taking guitar lessons. That's another problem. A music student has to shell out money to the teacher for the purpose of gaining a musicians skill. I'd like to be somewhat more unique than my friends and pluck banjo strings or learn to fiddle. Life would be infinitely cool if it were possible to pick up anything at hand and make music. My youngest son did this. It must be an inherited talent. His maternal grandfather played the clarinet with Bix Beiderbeck in the 1920's. The Kid decided to learn to play the piano when he was in college. I was impressed. His motive was ulterior, though. He told me, "good lookin' women gravitate to those who can tickle the ivories". Ever see an Elvis movie when he breaks out with, "Love Me Tender"?. He's surround by adoring beauties; thousands upon thousands of them. Music makers get the babes unless you're Adam Lambert.
I'm jealous of professional singers and musicians. My youth revolved around baseballs, footballs and basketballs and now that that period has passed me by I've learned to appreciate music. Finally, at last, I've segued into the purpose of this post.
I am late to the party but I have just discovered the singer, Michael Buble', and his wonderful CD, "Crazy Love". Buble' does the standards with a voice so mellifluous and soothing each song is as if it came from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Buble' has something I don't and never will. He has a voice that allows us non-talented folks do what I always figured was impossible; hum along with him in public without being embarrassed by it.

No comments: