Monday, February 28, 2011

Embarrassing

Lizzie and I 'kind of' watched the Academy Awards last night. After two hours she went to the bedroom to watch on her TV. I stayed in the living room so I could surf. Surfing, ladies, is a man thing. Regardless, you know by now that actress, Melissa Leo, won an Oscar for best supporting. You also know she dropped the F bomb. Considering her acceptance went on and on and on for infinity one would almost think it was contrived. I did a piece on cursing a couple of years ago. I like to swear but it depends on the situation. I do it a lot on the golf course. I'd also like to say I do it when I smash my finger with a hammer but since I rarely pick one up that'd be a gross lie. I've learned when to and when not to say unacceptable words depending on the company. Maybe in Hollywood it's okay. Teenagers across America who out of boredom had nothing to do and watched the show already know the word. It's almost like 'getting a Lewinsky". All of a sudden it's okay since someone of semi-prominence says it. "Hey teacher, F you. Melissa Leo says it's okay".
My main point in all of this is the Awards is supposed to be a family show. Uh-uh, it ain't. If my grand kids happened to be in the room watching why should I have to squirm?
Here's another example that causes me great embarrassment. My grandson is getting into golf. I'd like to sit with him and watch some of the PGA Tour events; the biggies like the US Open and the Masters. So, then, explain to me why I have to have my hand on the remote when a commercial comes on for erectile dysfunction. Is nothing sacred anymore?
Maybe this has been this way for a long time. After all, our grandparents thought we were going to hell watching Elvis' below the hips gyrations. At least in those days he had his clothes on.
Today, "when a touch can make the moment just right" we see two older adults head out for the bedroom to do what, play checkers?
Sometimes, things are better left unsaid.
Dysfunctionally yours,
MJ Hawkeye

No comments: