Thursday, February 24, 2011

Goulash And Other Junk

A dear friend of mine from North Carolina emailed last night saying she was so bummed out by politics and what's going on in the country she can't write or think about it anymore. Her enjoyment is now centered around looking at pictures of her children, nieces and nephews. Good plan I'd say. I've felt the same way for a week. Without getting too far into it doesn't it seem we're sliding down the cesspool of life. We have domestic problems galore. Foreign upheaval in the Middle East has shown us to be leaderless. My God, what a disaster for this nation.
Therefore, my attitude has forced me to concentrate on the niceties of life. I lifted my three year old granddaughter and her one year old brother's toes in the Gulf of Mexico. That was the extent of their courage. But that's okay. We had fun.
Lizzie and I drove them to the Mobile, Alabama airport today. On the way back to Florida I wanted to stop in to see the Henry Aaron ballpark. It's a minor league stadium in Mobile and is beautiful. The infield has red clay dirt. That's the way it's supposed to be. Two years ago City Father's moved his boyhood home next to the stadium. It was closed but a kindly organizational man for the ball team gave us a personal tour. This was after I mentioned how Aaron was my boyhood hero. The house had four rooms, hand built by Mr. Aaron's dad from scraps of material he scrounged in the late 30's. Aaron and his seven brothers and sisters slept in the same bedroom. There were trophies in the house, bats used by "The Man"; all types of memorabilia that flooded my mind with memories of days gone by. I had chills looking at some of these. I got a big thrill when I saw his first issued baseball card; just like the twenty or thirty I had before I gave them away. Cha-ching! I have a great trivia question for you if you happen to love baseball. Question: We all know that Henry Aaron, at one time, held the record for most home runs at 755. What brothers combined for the most home runs? Answer: Henry and Tommy Aaron. The latter hit 13. It's a trick question but sure to win some cash in a bar.
The price of gasoline in Mobile is running at $3.13. At Miramar Beach, Florida where we are residing it's now $3.59, up twenty-five cents from when we left yesterday. I'm afraid to leave town again.
One of the best things about having a beach condo is being able to 'veg out' whenever I wish and that's exactly what I'm about to do. 5-4-3-2-1 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

No comments: