Monday, February 28, 2011

Loading Up

Vacation has about come to an end. Lizzie gets dropped off at the Peensacola airport tomorrow morning and MJ heads out for Olathe, Kansas. It's only a fifteen hour drive from Destin. What else is there to do? As you well know how much I detest driving through Bill Clinton's home state but it has to be done. I have made an executive decision. I will not get a motel in Arkansas. I will do my very best to keep from buying so much as a bag of pretzels in Arkansas. I will drive til' my eyes are in my lap, pull into a Holiday Inn parking lot and snooze.
Destin, Florida is a unique place. Most of the vacationers are from Ohio, Michigan, Missouri and Iowa. Actually, Canadians outnumber us all. We oldsters populate the panhandle until March 1 then head out for home. Destin is a poor man's Ft. Myers. The weather ranged from 45 when we arrived and inched it's way up to the upper sixties by late February.
Beginning March 1 the youngsters populate the area. Spring break with the college kids and families with small children begin to take over. It's just as well were leaving. Scantily clad females on the beach are not conduscive to husband/wife communication. It's difficult to talk with the spouse while trying to take a peek out of the corner of the eye. Blinders are a necessity for males of all ages.
Things I did not do on vacation: I did not walk on the beach. I did not play good golf. So, what else is new? I did not lose any weight. So, what else is new? Lastly, and most important, I did not shovel snow!
Things I did do: eat, sleep, play on the computer, go to the bathroom, shower and shave, watch television. Jealous aren't you? It was like being at home except, I did not shovel snow.
I'm off to Kansas to see three more grandchildren, one of whom will be for the first time. Evie and Tommy will get spoiled by me. The car is loaded with gifts, already. I can hardly wait.

No comments: