Monday, January 16, 2012

College Majors

Doing my airport delivery job brought me in contact with some very interesting people. I delivered luggage to quite a few college students. One young lady was a citizen of mainland China but was studying at Ohio State. I asked her what her major was and she told me it was accounting. Call me stupid but I sort of figured China was light years ahead of what we did in schools when it came to math. She told me that OSU had a good reputation for this type of major. The same went for a young man from Beirut. That would be Beirut as in Lebanon. Just to show how naive I am I was more than surprised that the kid was blond haired and blue-eye. His major was computer science. "Don't you have computers in Lebanon"? I asked. "Yes", he said. "But Ohio State has one of the best computer science departments in the world. Egg on my face! I did shake his hand since I'd never met anyone from that country.
I happened to be watching Ohio State play a basketball game against the University of Indiana on Sunday. One of the Ohio State players, according to a TV announcer, was majoring in exploration. Well, what is an exploration major, anyway? Does he have to find his way from Wendys to the gym? What kind of job would an exploration major get? Maybe he'd look for oil or new lands or walk around the block looking for lost basketballs. This major needs further study. A lot of athletes major in general studies. I think this is one of those majors they take to get through school until the NBA comes a callin'.
The very best college class for athletes I ever heard of was a health summer school class for a kid named Andy Katzenmoyer who also played for the Buckeyes ten years back. He was quite the stud linebacker but was a couple credits short of being eligible to play. His assignment was to take three M&M's a day to simulate what an AIDS patient had to do. I don't think there was a final exam unless he had to eat an entire bag of the tasty morsels.
P.S. The Council Bluffs Cowboy came through for me on exploration majors. They are shiftless about their future and can't commit except when it comes to Saturday nights.

No comments: