Monday, January 23, 2012

A Deserved Tribute


There's a man by the name of Michael Lacey who passed away after a long fight with cancer. This happened a few days ago. To my knowledge, I had not seen nor spoken to Mike since 1960. That was the year I left Boone Sacred Heart as an 8th grader and transferred to the pubic school. Mike Lacey was one of those guys everyone wanted to be like. He was good looking, raised in a strong Catholic family, an excellent athlete, an outstanding student and an all-around wonderful guy. I best remember Mike Lacey for being nice. He was three years older than I but treated us 'little kids' like we were his little brothers. That doesn't happen very often in todays climate. Every so often as the years have passed by I'd hear little things about Mike; things like what a special man he is or what he's done for charitable causes. I guess when a person grows up in a special way it's very difficult to become someone else. Mike Lacey--saying the name sounds so pure and innocent and so very, very right.
Mr. Lacey went on to raise a family and become very involved in many, many causes; causes for the greater good. I've included a photo in this piece sent to me by Mike's brother in law. Mr. Lacey was as much of an Iowa State University basketball fan as a person could be. As you can see he and his wife had courtside seats. The Iowa State family paid tribute to Mike at the last game by placing flowers next to his seat along with a personal jersey. I just thought you'd want to know. It's nice to recognize people who live the way God intended.

No comments: