Thursday, January 26, 2012

To Newt Or Not To Newt

It's been a struggle but since we've been in Florida I've gotten away from the political game. In the past two weeks the talk radio station out of Ft. Walton Beach has remained silent. When we watch television we get the normal political ads, more so than at other times because the Florida Primary takes place next week. It's sinful the way the Republicans are destroying each other.
I've vacillated about candidates for over two years. My first choice and he remains so today is Sen. John Thune from South Dakota. Sadly, it ain't gonna to happen. Then when the field was set Michelle Bachmann was my choice. She's gone too so what's wrong with my choices?
Anyway, it's down to Newt and Romney. For awhile I thought Newt would make shambles of Obama and stand the best chance of defeating him. In the past few days, and it's my opinion only, I'm 1000% wrong. The only positive Gingrich has going for him is that Republicans would like to see him as the candidate who could destroy Obama in a debate. I find it best, when thinking of who I would want to be president to put it on a personal level. Romney reminds me of my father-in-law. He's business-like and professional. He knows how to run businesses. Question? I can't recall hearing from a Romney employee that he's a no good bum. Can you? He has absolutely no marital baggage. He's a family man. Being a family man is the most important job a fella can do. It's more important than how much money a person makes or how many Boards of Directors they sit on. Romney's thoughts are measured and he seemingly treats people around him as like they are significant. My boss was this way. He figured if his salesmen did well then he would do well so he gave us the leeway to be successful without dominating our lives and thought processes. My boss didn't want to be the center of the universe. Lord knows the guy in office right now is this way and how are you liking that? To me Newt and Obama would be one and the same when it comes to universal egos.
Newt reminds me of a dysfunctional parent. They may have done good deeds and been successful. They may be brilliant. Newt is brilliant. But, when I walk in the front door of my home at night I want to know what to expect from my parent. I don't want to have to worry if they're drunk or angry or out of control. With Newt I'll always wonder what he's going to do next. I don't want a President who has his people asking, "What the hell is going on here"? With Newt my fear is that's the way it would be.

No comments: