Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscars 2012 Equals Dudsville

Have you checked out the nominees for Oscars yet? Talk about a sad and sorry year. One of the best picture nominees is 'Moneyball'. It's the story of how a general manager of the Oakland Athletics baseball team took a bunch of no names and made them into winners. It was cute but certainly no 'From Here To Eternity'.
Selecting Oscar nominees has to be a lot like picking the top 20 college football teams. It's the same ones every year but in a different order. Someday, when I see Coe College from Cedar Rapids, Iowa ranked up there with the big boys I'll know it's not a good ol' boys club as are the Oscar nominees. In the meantime, I'm going to prepare myself for tonight's episode of 'Justified'. It's better than anything Hollywood could ever produce.
I received an email from my good buddy, Jude, wondering why I didn't put a list of movies from 1962, '63 and '64 in the blog. I have to think he wanted a comparison to the garbage Hollywood will select whenever the Oscars take place. Is it April? Anyway, I went back to 1964, the year of our graduation, and came up with a list of movies that were phenomenal. The funniest movie up to 'Animal House' in 1979 had to be the classic Peter Sellers movie, 'A Shot In The Dark'. I'd never laughed so hard. Take a long look at the highlighted list and while your at a stroll down memory lane. The unique aspect of these films according to Lizzie is they've stood the test of time. How many of the pictures nominated in the last five years will be able to say the same?

P.S. I've received numerous emails from my gasification* friend telling me to have you look up movies from 1962. I did but in addition found a site that give all the nominees and winners of the 1960's. I hope this gets him off my back and allows you to see the list remember the films you missed out on while you were doing some heavy necking in the balcony.

*Gasification-a new process of turning coal into gasoline. My buddy and his company are on the cutting edge.

No comments: