Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wikipedia Goes On Vacation

First example of wikipedia authenticity

It's going to be a struggle getting through this post. Wikipedia is shutting down for 24 hours in protest of anti-piracy laws or so they say. If you're not familiar with wikipedia it's a non-professional form of information used to give us quick answers on subjects and people; kind of like Cliff Notes used for college exams when students don't read the subject matter i.e. cheat sheets.
I use wiki to find out about a persons bio. It comes in handy when I'm watching a tv show and Lizzie says, "have we seen him in something other than this"? Anyway, Wikipedia along with a couple of other sites I've never heard of are protesting Washington congressional folks not supporting them; some say others are using offshore anti-piracy laws to restrict their 'whatever'. I hope I can better explain the importance of wiki in this crazy world with this story. In 1969 I was the head basketball coach and Athletic Director of a small school in northwest Iowa. Our cheerleaders were extremely upset that I would not allow them to ride on the team bus with the players. I saw this as some sort of distraction especially since four of the six were 'going steady' with four of my players. The girls informed me that if they couldn't ride then they wouldn't cheer at the next home game. Well, as you might expect, I was extremely distraught at the prospect of no cheerleaders leading our student body so I said to them, "Okay, don't cheer". That my friends is the power that Wikipedia has today. Why don't you forget about this post and do other things. It's going to be a long day without wiki but I imagine we'll suffer through.

No comments: