Thursday, May 10, 2012

Concussions

There was a segment on the NBC Nightly News last evening dealing with girls and concussions. As soon as I heard the story line I groaned. It seems a high school soccer team in Philadelphia was interviewed by an NBC reporterette and, in conjunction with some doctor, told us the dangers of female soccer and concussions because of long and non-muscular necks. Well, duh! I just knew these concussion story lines were going to happen. It's all because of the Junior Seau suicide. In contact sports kids, adults, all species of animals get hurt. If there were only 100 girls all across the country who play soccer this would be a non-story. But, because there's millions of girls(and boys) playing contact sports, the law of averages say kids will get hurt. The same goes for girls who play basketball. They have undeveloped muscles in their legs. Hence, they suffer many cartilage and ligament tears. The doctor on television suggested the soccer girls start a weight lifting program for their necks. What next? A weight program for basketball girls to build huge calves and thighs. It ain't gonna happen for the prime reason that there's a more important aspect of life than sports for girls and that's getting a man. Seriously, guys don't want wives whose legs look like ham hocks.
As for NBC and its story line it's all about liberals being sissies. Already I've heard calls for the banning of football on the college level. And this was from the man who wrote the book, 'Friday Night Lights'.
God forbid my grandchildren suffer a long term injury playing but, as sure as I go to bed at night, they will get hurt. It's a given. I'll give you an example and it comes from MJH. Over the course of my sports career and to my memory the following occurred through college.
 Broken wrist in baseball, (broken hand in baseball, ( broken ankle in basketball, (sprained ankles too numerous to count, ( three concussions-age 12 in basketball, age 17 in football, age 18 in baseball, torn knee cartilage and surgery(in the 60's it required a three week hospital stay), age 22 broken fingers in baseball.
I suspect the concussions might have had some long term damage. I'm going through a process now called brain mapping which I find extremely fascinating. It deals with sending electric currents to those parts of the brain that have remained dormant due to some type of external damage. The currents rejuvenate those parts of the brain to make them function again. It all sounds like Frankenstein stuff but it's just science.
My theory about sports and injuries is if you get hurt either stop playing or get back on the horse and ride. Amateurs and professionals alike have to know there are consequences to playing. It'd be easy for me to put the blame on a lot of folks because of my injuries but when you think about it, it all boils down to pointing the finger and looking at the other three that are coming back at you.

No comments: