Friday, May 25, 2012

Obama Belittles My Hawkeye State

Der Schlickmeister is in Iowa and at a speech on the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines I believe the President is demeaning my ancestors, friends and relatives. Get a load of his speech:

"Mitt Romney gave Iowans a “cow pie of distortion” when he said he knows how to douse the nation’s “prairie fire of debt,” President Barack Obama said in his first campaign event in Iowa of this election cycle".

He thinks all we know are cow pies. I find this very insulting. My high school girlfriend, Dianne Tingwald, lived on a farm and that's as close to a cow pie as I got except for walking through the cow barns at the State Fair. For me, going through that cow barn was like going to the zoo. I had a chance to see the udder and teats up close and personal . Obama should have used a pig analogy. We are the pig capital of the nation but I've never fed a bottle of milk to a suckling pig, either. Dianne had the nicest dad in the world but laughed his rear off when I asked him about bailing corn. One day I was in the back yard looking out over a green field and knew the crop wasn't corn. I found out it was soy beans. 'Oh", I said. Then I didn't ask any more questions because I didn't know what soy beans were used for and who or what ate them. Have you ever had a plate of soybeans? To this day I couldn't tell you about their their purpose. Some sassy adviser in the administration came up with the 'cow pie' jargon. C'mon, Barry. Say something about our fine doctors at the Univ. of  Iowa hospitals. Iowa also has one of the finest writing schools in the world. The Iowa Test of Basic Skills is the model for testing elementary students in the nation. Why use cow pie? Iowa doesn't have that many cows compared to other states. Go to Wisconsin, see the Holsteins and use that derogatory phrase.  Texas has more cows than any other state. Why not make fun of them? You should have come out and said it, "Iowa-the cow pie state". As far as I'm concerned, he stepped in it big time.

No comments: