Monday, January 11, 2016

How Would You Like To Be Remembered

In my younger days I spent many seconds wondering how I'd like to be remembered when I went to the great beyond. Would I place a photo of myself in the newspaper from younger days or one at the time of my death?

I have a photo of myself on a counter from my baseball days at Coe College taken in 1967. My son in law was looking at it and wondered who the guy was in the photo. "It's me, dimwit", I thought. That might be a nice pic for the tabloids adorned with shin guards and a chest protector. Except, one might have the idea I was living in an alternate universe.

Chances are most folks do change in looks from age 22 to 70 but I didn't think it'd be that drastic for me. The only thing I can say now is I look, well, old.

I was perusing my old hometown newspaper, The Boone News Republican obituaries this afternoon and came across a death announcement with Daniel Boone's, I presume, picture included. My interest was piqued. I would imagine, unless this was the only photo available, it was posted as a reminder of the guy's love of hunting. Either that or he was a hermit living in a cabin by the Des Moines River.

You know what I'd do if I went to his visitation? I'd place a couple of shotgun shells in his hand and maybe a sign reading, "The buck stops here".

Rest in peace whoever you are.


No comments: