Saturday, January 30, 2016

It'a A Bizarro World

What a beautiful gorgeous morning met me as I walked out our front door this morning. The sun shone brightly and this being January the temperatures at mid-morning were already in the forties.
Folks, I talkin' about Ohio not southern Georgia.

Regardless, it's getting close to Valentine Day. With ten grandchildren and a bevy of others to consider I wanted to get my cards early. Thank the Lord for the Dollar Store. The strange part of buying cards from this store is they are all American Greeting cards, the same ones that cost $3.99 at Krogers. Most of the ones I purchased were two for one at a dollar. Sixteen cards came to $11.00 What a bargain.

More importantly, there were fifteen human souls in the store and I was the only one, aside from the cashiers, who spoke English. I'm as serious as a case of leprosy about this. It was me who was a foreigner in my home land.

So, what's this 'Bizarro World thingy I was writing about? You know what it us, right? It comes from Superman comics where up is down, right is left; everything is bass ackwards.

In this week's mail I received a six page flyer from my Medicare supplier, Humana. In it, from past memory, was a listing of all the meds I had purchased in the last year. It explained my benefits and perceived changes in the law applying to me for the next fiscal year.

Did you notice I wrote, 'from past memory'? There's a solid reason for this. The entire six pages was typed in Spanish! I was embarrassed by this. Did the government already pass a law saying homegrown non-Spanish speaking whites with blue eyes were required to speak and read the native language of El Chapo? If so, it's news to me.

I did check the mailing address envelope to see if it was addressed to Miguel but it wasn't.

I think, in this 'Bizarro World, somebody is toying with me.

No comments: