Thursday, January 23, 2020

All Hail The Doomsday Clock

Hi Kids: I'm three days shy of my 74th birthday and read an article on the 'Doomsday Clock' and where we stand today. You've never heard of this clock? Well, beginning sometime during the Cold War(the 1950's) a group of pointy headed scientist geeks keep track of how close the world is to Armageddon.

I recall being in high school in the Sixties and this time piece always showed around three minutes to midnight. That's scary when your just reaching puberty. Teachers talked to us about total annihilation of the world. I hated when this happens. They still do it today when they speak of global warming and we only have ten more years to survive and all that jazz.

Besides, why even bring this up? What can the average Joe and Joan do about it. As an example I visited my doctor three weeks ago. I might have mentioned this before. Anyway, he said my resting heart beat was 111 per minute. I sort of doubt it was running at this level on a constant basis but it caused him worry and I was forced to have a heart test called an echogram. Folks, I was so unconcerned I didn't bother to look up heart murmur and its effects. I've slept better the last week than in years; probably because I'm back on my CPAP.

I have no worries with my health just as I'm not concerned about this stupid 'Doomsday Clock'. If it's going to happen it's going to happen. And besides, Major League training camps open up in a couple of weeks.

No comments: