Tuesday, January 21, 2020

In-Laws Get To Say These Things

In looking at the UK Daily Mail this morning I came across a gossip headline about Trump's daughter and son-in-law. It reminded me of something my future mother-in-law said at Her Majesty and my engagement dinner in 1969.

According to the tabloids The Donald said, referring to his daughter Ivanka, why couldn't she have married Tom Brady. The statement could have been made seriously or in jest. Who knows.

Anyway, in the Fall of '69 my future in-laws threw a dinner for us. Those invited included all relatives on both sides. It was a big deal, sort of. The in-laws, brothers and sisters of the bride and groom sat at the head table. The Queen's mother sat between she and I. I was in my second year of teaching and being a head coach at Storm Lake St. Mary's High School. The Queen had a cousin, Jim who lived in Omaha and sold carpeting for a living. He was in attendance.

Prior to dinner my wife's mom in a loud voice put her head in her hands and moaned, "Oh Your Highness, why couldn't you have married someone like your cousin Jim". A hush fell upon the banquet hall.

And guess my reaction? There wasn't one. What was I going to do, push a pie in her face? Oh, those were the days. Such happy memories. But she came around. It took awhile but she came around.

No comments: