Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Happy Birthday, Charlie



Our little rescue pooch, a Toto look alike, Charlie, turned six today. The party for him actually started last night. Normally, I let him stay in my bed until 10:30 then tell him it's time for bed and he goes to his cage on his own. Last night we did the routine. He looked at me then crawled under the covers. I thought, "What the heck? A guy only turns six or forty-two, whatever you prefer, once in his life so he stayed with yours truly all night. I have to be honest with you. After a half hour he'll come out of his cave, curl up into a ball and lie near me. It's extremely comforting for both of us.

This morning I let him sleep in then we came downstairs for my coffee. When I'd finished I put his collar on. He got all excited because he knows it's time for his morning walk. There's a huge field behind our condo. I let him sniff and poke around. Dogs like that. Then he had his birthday poop. He got giddy because he knows a  treat is his reward.

When got back the condo I asked if he'd like to go for a ride? If rides made humans as horny as they do a dog the world would have 10 billion people. We went to Walgreens' in the drive thru. The lady at the window asked if he'd like a treat. In a nanosecond Chaz had his nose out the window barking with glee.

After that we went to Mutts, Inc. It's a neat doggie bakery in Dublin and that's where I bought him his birthday cake.

We we're going to have a party but opted out. He has sort of 3 pals in the neighborhood. Red is a Plott Hound and lives across the street. His only problem is he has ants in his pants and jumps around like a college cheerleader. Bodie lives next door. He's a four month old something but he's tiny and not house trained yet so forget him. On the other side is an English Bulldog name Ike. Ike hasn't gotten into the habit of good manners. He attacks.

The party begins at 4 pm. It's going to be The Queen, myself and Charlie. Don't tell anyone but I don't think he knows the difference.

Our little guy has brought much joy into our lives. He's had two previous owners who didn't want him for one reason or another. Idiots. He's absolutely the most loving friend we've ever had.

No comments: