Monday, July 25, 2011

Attacking Minnesota


It is that time of year, again, when Lizzie and I make the 1000 mile trek to the lake cabin in Minnesota. Except---------this year it will slightly, tremendously, exaggeratingly, stupendously, different. Beginning next Sunday we will be hosts to the clan. Our kids and theirs, all sixteen of us will be shoe-horned into our home on the lake, Ten Mile Lake, by name. This will be a first for us, you know, so many in one spot at one time. Care to take a stab at who gets the divorce first, who murders first, who runs out of the cabin screaming, "I can't take it any more"!
We'll leave our Ohio condo on Thursday morning and motor out to Boone, Ioway to see Ma. We'll arrive that same day, ten hours later and just as the RAGBRAI bicycle riders have ridden out of town. Lucky us. We'll stay at a motel and pass out from driver fatigue.
On Saturday it's off to Minney-Sota to clean the cabin before clan arrives. This is the fun part for me. I've loaded up on more life jackets. We've added three more kidlets in the past two years. I've purchased three more fishing poles, the kind with Cinderella and Spiderman on them. I had to buy a couple of nicer ones with interchangeable handles since we have some 'lefties' in the family. I wonder why more lefties are girls. It seems that way. Does that mean something? Oscar's a lefty but only when he swings the baseball bat and golf club. I always thought being a girl and left-handed made them more petite. Have you ever considered this facet of life or is it only my quirkiness? To prove my point, Genevieve is a righty and if you are a regular reader you understand my point.
We also purchased two large air mattresses, queen sized, of course. Oscar thinks he's going to sleep outside in a tent. Is he in for a surprise. He'll be in the house faster than a lightening bolt when he comes in contact with Minnesota mosquitoes the size of size 6 ring finger cigars.
We've added a dishwasher to the kitchen this year. That'll help. We've replaced the fireant anthills that dominated the front yard with a flagstone patio. We've replaced the dock with a smoother surface to keep splinters out of tender feet. We've purchased big time water sports equipment but not yet, anyway, a wave runner. I'm sure that's around the corner along with a larger boat with a more powerful motor. Oh, why kid myself. I'm looking at a pontoon which means a larger lift which means I have to reduce the size of my stock portfolio.
And, do you know why I gladly do it? Well, in case you've forgotten let me remind you.
Oscar, Eve, Paige, Genevieve, Tommy, David, Kingston, and Adeline. Ain't life grand!

No comments: