Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It's About Your Money

My car radio is 99% of the time dialed in on 610 AM, WTVN in Columbus. It's the talk radio station. The morning guy is Bob Conners and he's called the 'Monarch of the Morning'. I know he's been at the station since we moved into the area in 1989 so he must be fairly popular. Anyway, he has a daily segment called, "It's your money". He'll give examples of what things cost, how they've risen, etc. What he's telling you is, if you want to spend it go ahead any way you desire because---you get the picture.
Four years ago while working in Ontario I came across a shoe store selling Converse All-Star low cut basketball shoes. Converse was the ONLY basketball shoe our coaches let us wear in high school growing up in Iowa. They were high tops and white. We bought them at Fisher's Shoe Store in Boone. Bud and Bob Fisher personally fit us to make sure we were blister free when using. The cost of the 1964 beauties was around ten bucks.
Getting back to Ontario: I found a shoe store near the Toronto airport selling, and get this, Converse low cuts in a variety of colors for TEN Dollars each. I had found the pot at the end of the rainbow so I bought a red, blue, black and brown pair. At today's prices and popularity these would have set me back 160 clams. I was smart because I would not only look cool and pay less I would be able to say, "Hey, it's my money" and feel smart when saying it.
Bob Conners made two interesting observations this morning. One was on travel. "You can take the bus. It's cheap but slow. You can take AMTRAK. It's expensive and slow. You can fly. It's expensive and fast. It's your money".
I think he saved the best for last, though, and it dealt with the price of jeans. "If you're afraid to wipe pizza sauce on your jeans they ain't jeans". Short, sweet and to the point. I like that.

No comments: