Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Fourth Of July With The G'Kiddies

How time flies. It's easy to recall the many Fourth of July's from days gone by. From my twenties to ten years ago they usually centered around being with friends, playing volleyball, drinking beer, eating more than you want, drinking more beer then feeling like a stuffed elk on the spit. What a horrible feeling. I might have the perfect description for this------blurpy!
Last evening we were among the annual twenty or so at Lizzie's friend's home. Her name is Donna and she's a southern gal; Columbia, South Carolina. They've lived in Dublin for forty years but she's never lost the accent. She makes great desserts, too. I had worn myself out sitting in a chair so around 9 pm I started dropping hints that it was time to 'hit the hay'.
We have Oscar(6) and Genevieve(4 -one day) for the week-end. Vieve is already going full throttle. The Big O is laid back. Lizzie and I will split duties for the next two days. I get to have "laid back". She has "full throttle". I walked into my man cave last evening and 'FT' was taking a swing with my sand wedge. Boy, you should have seen that golf ball take off. Had she nailed the ball in the opposite direction I'd be at Costco looking for a new big screen. Vieve is a one person wrecking crew. Regardless of the task at hand this is what I get from her: "I can do it", or "I can do it by myself". In reality we all know I'll be doing whatever in a few short moments.
Oscar, on the other hand will search through my treasury boxes located in the cupboards under the television. That's where I keep my coin collection, campaign buttons, baseball cards, golf memorabilia, Halloween masks(I have a wonderful collection; the kind that cover the entire head). It's his place to treasure hunt. I didn't not know I had so many small locks. I did not know I 'used' to have so many locks. Why kids think those things are so neat I don't know. He grabbed a handful to take home.
We might go to the Columbus Zoo today. As a regular reader would know, Oscar doesn't care much for looking at animals. Neither do I. I never understood why people took cameras to the zoo to snap pics of animals. It's not really like one elephant looks like Megan Fox and the next one has the appearance of a Jennifer Anniston. Anyway, Oscar wants to go to the souvenir shop. I have an inkling there's a little girl on his T-ball team who is the object of his affection. an she is gift worthy. Her name is Ava.
It appears there's going to be rain today. My outdoor choices for activities are limited. Too bad. It's a lot less expensive being outdoors. Indoor things cost money, like the movies. Since O's already seen, "Cars2" the flick, "Kung Fu Panda" is on the radar. It's an hour and thirty-nine minutes long. Cut me some slack, please. Maybe the projector will crash.
Don't get me wrong. I love the kiddies. they're a hoot. You'll have to check in with me from August 1-August 14. We'll have all sixteen our clan at our our Minnesota cabin. Hooboy! Be there or be square.

No comments: