Sunday, July 17, 2011

Musings

Yesterday began the first day of my week long adventure into Illinois and Wisconsin. Interstate driving was it's normal summer drive; road construction. Ah, another pet peeve. In Indiana, thirty miles east of Indianapolis on I-70 there's a road sign reading, "road construction 3 miles--merge right". The 'important people' think this means they can drive in the left lane directly to the closure then keep traffic bogged down for a half hour. I've seen trucks do the trick of getting in the left lane to hold these 'important people' at bay so I tried it. It failed. Drivers went around me on the left driving on the grass off the interstate.
Since my route took me through Indy I stopped off at Dad's Hat's. They sell big Apple Newsboy caps. They're the big floppy ones like the young kids wore in the early 1900's. I'm a sucker for them so I bought two. It's the same as for argyle socks. I can't pass up a rack with different colored ones.
The drive from Indy to Chicago was uneventful. Normally, when getting on I-80 on the south side of the city road construction drives people to suicide. Not this time.
I knew the worst awaited me; driving through downtown Chicago. Kudos to people who have to drive that part of town each day. It's no wonder Chicago leads the world in murders. Another surprise! Gas was going for $4.13 when I reached my Evanston destination. Thanks for slightly small favor in Ohio at $3.48.
Today begins the 1967 fraternity reunion on the golf course. As with the great part of the midwest the heat will be intolerable. A sign that we're not getting younger. One of our comradea had to drop out. His doctor said the heat wouldn't be good for his heart. I called him and told him to man up and tell his doc to shove it. "Back at ya"', he said. I deserved it.
And so it begins. We've set up golf games already. One of them is who will be able to survive 18 holes without passing out.

No comments: