Tuesday, November 22, 2011

NBC Nightly News Strikes Again

It isn't necessary to go into the 'why's' again but Lizzie and I were watching, ugh, Brian Williams on his NBC Nightly News last evening. There was a segment on the the Univ. of California at Davis 'students' and their sit-in. Sit-ins have a positive effect unless they are deemed to be an invasion of others rights. In this case the president of the school called in the police. The cops had two choices of action according to a spokesman: forcibly drag them away or use pepper spray. They chose the latter. Mr. Williams had an on sight lady reporting. Then, in his own special way. out came these words, "I wonder what the parent's of these students would say after seeing this"? Trust me when I write he wasn't in sympathy with the police.
Here's what my parent's would have said. "Why didn't you have your sorry butt in the dorm studying? You don't have sense enough to come in out of the rain. I didn't raise my son to be an idiot".
My problem in college, and I attended at the height of the 60's rebellions, was I didn't own a green pea coat. I wore my hair in a preppy fashion. My feet shuffled down the street in penny loafers instead of Birkenstocks. Oh, and I never once wore a tye-died shirt with a peace sign on it. I didn't have a beard mostly because I didn't have the possibility of growing facial hair--but I wouldn't have done it anyway. You will find this difficult to believe but I never once sat staring at a lava lamp for hours on end. I never smoked dope, either. What a weirdo! Also, I never said, "the man is holding me down". Or, "one, two, three, four, so and so has got to go". I always considered that chant to be beneath my protesting creativity. Cripes, I still hear it today and it makes me gag.
When I attended school I was either in my dorm room or lounging on the fraternity sofa watching Dean Martin or Robert Wagner in "It Takes A Thief" 4except on Wednesday evenings when I'd walk across the street to the East Side Maid-Rite. What a deal; 25 cent beer schooners and all the peanuts I could eat.
Brian Williams is out of the mainstream. But you knew that already, didn't you!

No comments: