Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Score A Big One For The Union Bosses

When we moved to Ohio in 1989 we settled in an attractive community on the northeast side of Columbus called Westerville. Our home was located in an area called 'Autumn Woods'. That explains a lot in itself. Westerville is the home of the Women's Christian Temperance movement and was dry until ten years ago. Westerville is a wonderful community. The library has been selected as number 1 in the United States for towns of up to 50,000 for many years.
There was an election in our state in November just as there were all across the country. The major concern in Ohio was Issue 2 the calling for union members to have collective bargaining rights across the board. Selfishly, I was against it. You see, I feel union workers should have to ante up by putting a little more of their own money, instead of mine, into their health care and pensions. It's an entitlement and, besides, are you trying to tell me a Phys. Ed. Major who oversees volleyball five times a day is that important that I have to take care of them financially? And you may ask, how can I disparage these people this way? It's easy. As a former high school teacher I personally witnessed many of these slackers in action for twenty years. Believe me when I tell you the owner of a hardware store or a corn and pig farmer could achieve as much as many of these people in education did.
Columbus has a Metro area of 1.5 million. On the day of the election MJH composed a 'letter to the editor' and it was published in the states largest newspaper, The Columbus Dispatch. In it I stated that it would be no time before there would be massive layoffs of these union folks. I also said that the union bosses would let the most needy suffer; teachers who were on the low end of the economic spectrum. These are the ones low in seniority and salary but with small children to feed. They struggle but on the flip side nobody gave then a hammerlock to become a teacher.
It, the content of my letter, has come to fruition. Westerville, in trying to save teacher jobs has decreased the distance for students using school buses from one mile to two. Extra curricular activities will be reduced. Even so, there are 175 teaching positions on the chopping block. This doesn't apply to teachers only. This selfishness will spread like a 14th century plague to include firemen and policemen. And who are the winners?
In the final outcome it is the union bosses, those scum bags who open handedly take dues from their own constituents; those teachers, firemen and policemen who will be left on the curb to die. The teachers especially, all 435,000 of them voted overwhelmingly by a plurality of 65% to 35% to take from the producers. What is it about common sense that people have so little of it.
Why is it people refuse to see what's going on in Greece, England, France; riots and burning of buildings taking place because there is no more money to take care of the ne'er do wells? These are freaking entitlements. It drives me insane. If I drank I'd go on a ten year bender out of frustration. And it's not only Ohio. It applies to every damned state in the union. "Gimme, gimme, gimme" is all I hear. There are members of my family who feel this way and that, to me, is despicable.
What this all boils down to is raw selfishness. I want mine and I want you to pay for it. Well, KMA, if you feel that way. It's long past time we, the 53%, accept this horrid situation.

No comments: