Friday, December 23, 2011

2011 In Review

Except for the fact that there were no deaths in our family 2011 will not go down as a memorable year, at least in my mind. There was too much politics which means we, the people, were subjected to too much lying. What was it that Jimmy Carter said about malaise? It's only personal on my part but 2011 may go down as one of the most hated years in memory. Let me think----Hmmmmm! 1946 was good. That's when I arrived. From '51 to '58 it was okay. All I did was play. Well, I had to go to school but mostly I played with my pals. Jude was a pal. He still is. So was Mark but sad to write that he recently died. Then there were the Ferry brothers, Tim and Jim. Throw 'Sweat' in mix and you've go a basketball team with one sub.
1968 was a bad year. I was in my senior year of college. I was smart enough to realize the gravy train was about to end but I was happy to get away from the college scene. The rabble rousing protesters were doing their thing. I liked the ending of the Viet Nam War. Lizzie and I were living in Ottumwa, Iowa and when the announcement came on TV it was as though the pain of every migraine headache acquired by mankind left our bodies. Little did we know the US government would crap all over the South Vietnamese and create the killing fields of that country and Cambodia. But, hey, that's what governments are for, being losers.
The Carter years were bad. Remember how we had to fill our gas tanks on even or odd numbered days? Then Jimmy Bob encouraged us to wear sweaters during the winter to save on heating costs. Yeah right, Jimmy. Your winter was in Georgia. My winter was in Iowa, the land that required a ten inch bolt attaching your ass to your body to keep it from falling off with sub Arctic temperatures.
Except for losing my grandpa in '75 and my dad in '94 life's been excellent up until 2011. It was, from my viewpoint, not very much fun. And it all came out of Pennsylvania Avenue.

No comments: